Elder Abuse

questions & answers

Question: My father has a 15 year old daughter that abuses my dad she hits him, kicks him yells and threatens him. I live in OR and am not sure how to handle this problem.Who can I call?


The following is provided for general information only. To find out how the law applies to a specific situation, contact an attorney directlyIf you suspect that abuse, neglect or exploitation is occurring in your friend’s home, call the Adult Protective Services (APS) Hotline at (877) SOS-ADULT (767-2385) TDD: (877) 815-8390. (A.R.S. §§ 46-451 et seq.) If you suspect that the abuse is occurring in a licensed long-term care facility, such as a nursing home, contact your local long-term care Ombudsman. To locate the Ombudsman, call (800) 872-2879. Your report will be confidential, and you can remain anonymous.  You can also order the Senior Citizen’s Protection Manual, produced by the Arizona Attorney General’s Office. For a free copy of this guide, call (602) 542-2123 or (866) 358-6661 (outside Maricopa County) or visit the Attorney General's Office on-line (go to Publications and Seniors). Please visit our informational article about elder abuse for more information.


ARS 8-201(16) defines an incorrigible child as someone who “ is determined by the courts to be a child who refuses to obey the reasonable and proper orders or directions of a parent, guardian or custodian, and who is beyond the control of that person; routinely or habitually skips school; is a runaway from the child's home or parent, guardian or custodian; routinely or habitually behaves in such a manner as to injure or endanger the morals or health of self or others; commits any act constituting an offense that can only be committed by a minor and that is not designated as a delinquent act; or fails to obey any lawful order of a court of competent jurisdiction given in a non-criminal action.” Some of the potential consequences of being found incorrigible include: being fined, being placed on probation, and being ordered to do community service. The specific charges and consequences are left up to the officer of the court. You might also want to check with the appropriate local juvenile court about community services offered. For example, in Maricopa County, the Juvenile Court offers a staffing called a Children's Resources Staffing (CRS). The staffing allows anyone with specific concerns or questions concerning a child, teen and/or family challenges (for example: behavior problems, truancy, chronic runaway, incorrigibility, drug use, etc.) to address these issues with representatives from several different agencies in an effort to assist the family in finding options for services. These services could include finding an educational advocate, parent support groups, parenting classes on how to parent teens, individual and family counseling to name a few. A child or teen does not have to be court involved to have a staffing.


  • My father has a 15 year old daughter that abuses my dad she hits him, kicks him yells and threatens him. I live in OR and am not sure how to handle this problem.Who can I call?




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program


Generic versions of the drug Cialis, sold as tadalafil, now available from many manufacturers.