questions & answers

Question: how to evict a 2months tenant with no lease and no rent being paid?

Answer: ARS. 33-1368B provides "[a] tenant may not withhold rent for any reason not authorized by this chapter. If rent is unpaid when due and the tenant fails to pay rent within five days after written notice by the landlord of nonpayment and the landlord's intention to terminate the rental agreement if the rent is not paid within that period of time, the landlord may terminate the rental agreement by filing a special detainer action pursuant to section 33-1377. Before the filing of a special detainer action the rental agreement shall be reinstated if the tenant tenders all past due and unpaid periodic rent and a reasonable late fee set forth in a written rental agreement. After a special detainer action is filed the rental agreement is reinstated only if the tenant pays all past due rent, reasonable late fees set forth in a written rental agreement, attorney fees and court costs. After a judgment has been entered in a special detainer action in favor of the landlord, any reinstatement of the rental agreement is solely in the discretion of the landlord."  Under ARS 33-1310, a "rental agreement" is defined as " all agreements, written, oral or implied by law, and valid rules and regulations adopted under section 33-1342 embodying the terms and conditions concerning the use and occupancy of a dwelling unit and premises."  A landlord wishing to terminate a rental agreement is required to deliver notice and give an opportunity for the tenant to pay.  If the tenant does not pay, the landlord may proceed to their local justice court and ask about filing a special detainer action.  The landlord will be given a packet, and will need proof of ownership of the property, and must pay a filing fee. After filing, the court will set a trial date, and the landlord will need to serve the whole packet on the tenant. At the trial, the landlord will need to be prepared to put on evidence to show that rent has not been paid.  The Judge will then rule on the issue.


  • how to evict a 2months tenant with no lease and no rent being paid?




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program


Generic versions of the drug Cialis, sold as tadalafil, now available from many manufacturers.