Other Family Issues

questions & answers

Question: In state of Arizona can a 17 year old move out without parents permission?


According to Arizona law, an adult is a person 18 years or older.  A.R.S. section 1-215(3)

If a person is under age 18 in Arizona, he or she cannot leave home without a parent's permission unless he or she is fully emancipated, or the parents have lost their right to parental authority.

If a 17-year-old leaves home without permission from a parent or legal guardian, he or she can be prosecuted as an incorrigible child (A.R.S. § 8-201(15)(c)). Some of the consequences of being found incorrigible include being fined, be placed on probation, and being ordered to do community service. The specific charges and consequences are left up to the officer of the court.

If the parent cannot control the child, the child can be removed from the parent's supervision. The child may then be placed in an appropriate living place, a foster home or some type or a state facility.

Even if the parent does not report the run away, Child Protective Services can become involved if the minor living away from home is not receiving age-appropriate supervision, is engaging in harmful conduct, does not have adequate food, clothing, shelter, medical care, or is living with an inappropriate person.

You will not be punished by being jailed, or fined, but moving out without your parent' permission will cause you a lot of problems. You may also cause problems for any adult who helps you.

Arizona Law (ARS §25-511) makes it a class 6 felony (imprisonment for 1 year and up to a $150,000 fine) if the parent of a minor child knowingly fails to furnish reasonable support for the parent's child.

Another Arizona Law (ARS §13-3613) makes it a class 1 misdemeanor (up to 6 months in jail and a $2500 fine) for a parent to cause, encourage or contribute to the dependency or delinquency of a child.

A minor who was made homeless as a result of being kicked out could be considered dependant or delinquent. It is also a class 1 misdemeanor under Arizona Law (ARS §13-3619) for a person having custody of a minor under sixteen years of age to knowingly cause or permit the life of such minor to be endangered. Being homeless or not having resources for food and shelter could be considered endangerment.


  • In state of Arizona can a 17 year old move out without parents permission?




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program


Generic versions of the drug Cialis, sold as tadalafil, now available from many manufacturers.