questions & answers

Question: At what age can a child stop going to there dads for visitation

Answer: There is no age at which a minor can independently decide to stop seeing one of their parents if there is a court ordered custody or visitation arrangement. Refusing to return to the parent that has legal custody can create many problems. If a minor runs away from home or fails to obey a lawful order they may be prosecuted as an incorrigible child (A.R.S. § 8-201(15)(c)). Some punishments for being found incorrigible include being fined, being put on probation, or being ordered to do community service. In cases regarding child custody, it is the duty of the court to make a decision based on what they believe to be in the best interests of the child. According to Arizona Revised Statute 25-403 if a child is of suitable age and maturity, the court can take the wishes of the child into account when making a decision about custody. Generally, a child over the age of 10 will have their desires taken into consideration by the courts when a decision is made about child custody. This does not mean that the minor will get what they want, simply that the judge can consider it. In order to change the current custody/visitation arrangement, one of the parents of the minor(s) must file a petition with the court to commence the proceedings. For more information on what a court will consider when making child custody decisions, read the full text of Arizona Revised Statute 25-403: For more information on filing for a change in child custody, visit:


  • At what age can a child stop going to there dads for visitation




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program


Generic versions of the drug Cialis, sold as tadalafil, now available from many manufacturers.