Social Security, SSI Article

Supplemental Security Income and Cash Assistance

What is Supplemental Security Income (SSI)?

Supplemental Security Income (SSI) is a cash assistance program for U.S. citizens and some non-citizens who are disabled, blind, or at least 65 years old. Only those with limited income and resources can qualify for monthly checks in an amount based on the individual’s circumstances.

In Arizona, the Department of Economic Security’s Aging Adult Administration and Family Assistance Administration administer SSI and other Cash Assistance (CA) programs. Even if you believe you will not qualify for more than a very small amount of SSI/CA funding, it may be worth your while to apply for such assistance. As a recipient, you are automatically eligible for free health benefits under the Arizona Health Care Cost Containment System (AHCCCS). Those with special needs may also qualify for other benefits such as assistance with housekeeping.

How do I apply for benefits?

Benefits must be requested using an official application form. An application form may be requested from any Arizona Department of Economic Security Family Assistance Administration (FAA) local office, by phone or by mail. To find an FAA local office near you, check the on-line office locator. Applications may also be obtained from various other agencies and social organizations or can be downloaded by visiting the FAA website.



  • My son is 2 his dad has been approved for social security is my son qualified for benefits through that?
  • nesecito un abogado para acer una apelacion negada del seguro social
  • I lived in California when I got approved for ssdi and I was approved for backpay I moved to Arizona within the year of 2013 and now they are telling me I don't get my backpay because of state rules being different but I should get the backpay for 2011 thru 2013 I am entitled to right?
  • Can one apply for and be granted social security disability benefits while already drawing social security retirement benefits?
  • somebodys using my ss# what steps do i take to fix my credit
  • Can you please send me forms to sign up for sst?
  • How can I get a copy of my son's deceased father's tax return to show social security that he claimed my son as his son?
  • I went to the local SS office for help because I did not get my SSI check. The said it was a paperwork error and updated my information. Then I got an interview appointment sent to me and went to it plus had my sons wife with me for help with paperwork. I have severe PTSD and felt threatened by security when he stood behind me with his hand on the gun. I went outside and turns out my sons wife told lies, saying I own many autos and a house, I don't, I am denied an appeal, I need my money, I am homeless. How do I get help.
  • I have taken early soc sec retirement. When my wife retires in three years, will she receive her own sep soc sec income based on her working years?
  • i am becoming 60 in march i would like to know that since my wife and i we had a accident we were in our old motorhome i was going to start a revival and we breathed carbon-monoxide 14hrs it has did a number on us could i be able to draw social security now at 60




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program