Foreclosure Article

Renting a Foreclosure

1.       Can I rent a property that is in foreclosure?

Yes, but the landlord must provide a written notice of the foreclosure with the rental agreement.

2.       What happens if while I am renting a house the property goes into foreclosure?

If you are renting house and the property goes into foreclosure the landlord must notify you. In fact they must provide you with written notice within 5 business days of the first notice of trustee sale.

3.       Is there a specific form that I need to use to notify a tenant?

Arizona Revised Statute 33-1331 provides a format for how a landlord should set up this information but it is not necessary to use this exact format.  The format is as follows:

This property is undergoing foreclosure. For more information on this action, you should contact ________________ (name, address and phone number of the court where the action is filed or trustee, attorney or other responsible party).

A sale at auction may or may not occur as a result of this foreclosure. Currently, the sale of this property has been set for _________ (time, date and place) or no date for sale of this property has been established.

4.       What happens if the owner fails to provide notice?

If a landlord fails to notify their tenant in writing within 5 business days the tenant may terminate the lease and recover their security deposit. It is also possible to obtain injunctive relief and money for any damages the tenant may have.

5.       As a tenant can I just leave the property if I am not notified properly?

No, a tenant must deliver written notice stating how the landlord breached the agreement and that the rental agreement will end on a specific date. The end date must be at least 10 days after the letter is delivered.

6.       Does this apply to apartment complexes?

No, these laws do not apply to apartment complexes or other multifamily residential complexes that have more than four units.


Updated: February 24, 2017



  • The home I'm renting is about to be auctioned....will I have to leave immediately or do I have 30 or 90 days?
  • The house is currently in foreclosure.It is being sold at an auction in January.Will they give me a notice telling me I have to get out? Or can they by law,put my stuff on the curb?
  • we are currently listed as owner's to a mortgage but signed transfer of property- deed papers to an investor of whom we have been making monthly payments to. We have been informed by the mortgage that our payments have not been submitted and that we will soon be in foreclosure. What can we do? This investor promised to assume the mortage as well as the property but really only filed tranfer of property and continues to collect our money, of which has been steady each month.
  • I'm renting a home for the last 7-8 years ,and now I found out its going into foreclosure .Do I still need to pay rent,and would like to know what my options are thank you.
  • My father passed away 1/16/2015. His is the only name on his home's deed. There is a reverse mortgage on the house and what is currently owed on the mortgage is more than the house is worth. My name is not on the deed and I don't plan on going to probate to get control of the house. The mortgage company is starting foreclosure. My question: is the estate, and me personally as the executor of the will, legally obligated maintain the homeowners insurance policy until the house is sold at the foreclosure auction which could take 1 to 2 years?
  • Are the lenders able to work with you even if your only 1 month behind. they sent us a letter giving us a certain date to catch up and what would happen if this didn't occur.
  • The house I am renting is about to go into foreclosure. My landlord wants to remove the storage shed, window wrought iron around the home as well as the sun lights. Is this legal? What are my rights?
  • Is the law the same re foreclosure the same for a mobile home? I have vacated the property. Can my wages be garnished?
  • After my foreclosed property has been auctioned, how much time do I have to remove personal property?




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program