Unemployment Compensation Article

Know Your Rights: Waiver of Overpayment of Unemployment Insurance Benefits

(480) 727-2382


Claimants who have been overpaid unemployment insurance benefits are responsible
for repaying that money back to the state. However, some claimants may be eligible for
a waiver of repayment. This document explains waiver and offers tips to claimants
seeking one with the Arizona Department of Economic Security (“DES”).

What is a Waiver of Overpayment of Unemployment Insurance Benefits?

• A waiver is a decision from DES that a claimant does not have to repay all or some
part of the outstanding debt that may be owed from the overpayment of benefits.

• You may be eligible for a waiver if: the overpayment was obtained through no fault of
your own; and it would be against equity and good conscience to require repayment. 1

How does DES determine fault?

• DES currently interprets fault as any overpayment with a classification of other than
administrative. Given this, DES only considers waiver requests for administrative
overpayments. For more information on the type of classification and how to appeal
it, see Know Your Rights: Overpayment of Unemployment Insurance Benefits.

How does DES determine “against equity and good conscience”?

• DES examines whether it would be fair and the degree of difficulty it would create for
a claimant to repay the debt, even in small amounts over a period of time.

• According to DES,2 some of the factors that are relevant to the determination of
whether repayment would be “against equity and good conscience” include:

1) Overpayment Status including the current balance of benefits owed, longevity of
debt, and efforts to repay.

o Ex: Claimant has had an overpayment for over five years. During that
time, Claimant has worked temporarily and consistently made payments
when possible. Claimant has not found work for a year and has been
unable to fully pay off the overpayment debt.

2) Financial Considerations such as income, living expenses, and other debt.

o Ex: Claimant makes repairs to her vehicle that, had it not been for the
awarded benefits, would have postponed.

o Ex: Claimant provides money to help his 19 year old son get dental work
that would have not have been offered but for the benefits.

o Ex: Claimant has a significant amount of credit card debt, obtains public
assistance for housing and medical care, and has no savings.

3) Potential earning power like whether the Claimant has specialized skills,
barriers to employment exist, and caregiver roles.

o Ex: Claimant was able and willing to work when she received benefits, but
now has a medical condition that prevents her from working full time.

o Ex: There has been a downturn in the claimant’s industry recently and
Claimant’s limited other skills has prevented him from finding new work.

Are there any other requirements?

• DES requires the overpayment to be final before someone can apply for a waiver.

o The overpayment classification typically becomes final 15 days after the date
listed on the Determination of Overpayment.

o The determination is not final if an eligibility or overpayment appeal is pending.

How can I apply for a Waiver?

• Submit a Confidential Financial Statement (UB092A) to DES.3

• Attach supplemental documentation that includes any information that:

o Is relevant to determining whether repayment would be “against equity and good
conscience” and/or

o You did not have room to explain on the Confidential Financial Statement form.

* Remember to keep a copy of all information submitted to and received from DES.*

What happens after you file for a Waiver?

• A Deputy will review the form and make a determination.

• If the deputy approves the waiver, DES will notify you in writing and state that you
are relieved of your obligation to repay.

• If the deputy denies your waiver, DES will notify you in writing, and you may:

1) Appeal the determination of deputy within 15 days of the date listed on the
determination. If you timely appeal a waiver denial, DES will send you a notice of
a telephonic hearing with an Administrative Law Judge (ALJ).

• As the notice will explain, you may submit documents and/or register
witnesses for the telephonic hearing. The ALJ also asks you questions
under oath, including whether there is other testimony you’d like to provide.

• After the hearing, the ALJ issues a written decision, which may be
appealed further if you believe it is wrong.

2) Try to set up a repayment plan by contacting DES’s Office of Accounts Receivable and Collection at (602) 252-0024.

3) Repay the overpayment in full.

• You may apply for another waiver later if your circumstances change from the
original application. For example, if you lose a job or incur significant medical
expenses for a dependent. This starts the waiver application process over again.

For More Information Visit

• DES’s Guide to Unemployment Insurance (p.9),

• The William E. Morris Institute for Justice’s Guide to Unemployment Insurance (p. 34),

• Information about referrals for legal assistance is available at http://www.azlawhelp.org/ or
by calling (866) 637-5341.

Contributing Attorney: Marcy Karin is the Faculty Supervisor of the Work-Life Law and Policy Clinic at Sandra Day O'Connor College of Law at ASU.

Prepared on 4/8/2015 by Aften Anaya, Certified Limited Practice Student

1 A.R.S. § 23-787(c).

2 Notice of Substantive Policy Statement Arizona Department of Economic Security, # 3-18P-001, http:///www.azdes.gov/uploadedFiles/DES_Rules/UITax-3-18P-001.pdf.

3 A copy may be obtained on the DES website (https://www.azdes.gov/uploadedFiles/Employment/Unemployment_Insurance_Benefits/ub_092_A_english.doc) or you may request that DES mail you a copy via phone at (877) 600-2722. The form contains filing instructions

Attached Document
.pdf Know Your Rights: Waiver of Overpayment of Unemployment Insurance Benefits



  • Where to I apply for unemployment benefits? I moved to Pinal County 4 monthas ago. Prior to that I was in Maricopa County for over 20 years?
  • Am I eligible for U.I. benefits if I am employed part time? My employer has reduced my hours to 25 or less per week due to the seasonal nature of the work.
  • I have more than 10 years seniority in my job. I was on a family leave for 6 weeks last year . This summer my boss denied my request for 10 days off saying that I was already too much off work. Can he do that?. I think he wants me to resign. If I do will I be eligible for unemployment compensation?
  • Phentermine where to buy Online Without Prescription at Lowest Price?

  • I was laid off, but my boss from that employer is claiming I quit. I filed an appeal and soon i'll have my hearing. The proof I have to him laying me off is via text message, and the keywords he said are "due to the corona virus customer are cancelling, clearly not enough work to keep you." Do you think that evidence will be enough to win in court?
  • I was just laid-off from my from my fulltime job, I also have a part time job. Am I eligible for unemployment compensation?
  • I was offered a part time job earning $160 a week, which is less than what I am claiming for unemployment. Can I still receive benefits and work that job?
  • i was terminated for insuboration even though i wasnt on company time yet.
  • Can I get UI if I work as a substitute teacher while looking for fulltime permanent work?
  • I have been out on disability leave of work since July 1st from my job and was denied my claim. My Dr. has said I should not return to work, but since I have not been making income, I can't afford the rent, food, or gas to make it to my Doctors appointments. I have also been wrongfully treated by my employer and had to open a complaint and possibly a lawsuit against my supervisor. I tried to give my employer a chance to take care of it, but I was told I can't even complain because I am out on leave. If I voluntarily quit and look for part time work can I qualify for unemployment?




  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program