Birth Certificate Article

How to Get a Certified Copy of a Death Certificate

A certified copy of a death certificate can be used to obtain beneficiary death benefits, claim beneficiary insurance proceeds, notify social security, and other legal purposes.

In Arizona only the following people can get a certified copy of a death certificate.

  • Funeral director,
  • Spouse,
  • Parent,
  • Grandparent,
  • Adult Child,
  • Grandchild,
  • Brother or sister,
  • Person designated as Power of Attorney,
  • Person responsible for final disposition,
  • Person names as executor or beneficiary of the deceased’s individual estate,
  • Beneficiary of the deceased’s life insurance policy,
  • Person named in a court order,
  • Person authorized by an eligible person,
  • Insurance company or financial institution,
  • Hospital or healthcare institution,
  • Person with a court order having a claim against the deceased’s individual estate, and
  • Attorney representing a person eligible to receive a certified copy of a death certificate.

    Only persons over 18 may obtain a certified copy of a death certificate.

    To Apply In Person:

    The Arizona Department of Health Services does not provide same day walk in service.  The local county health department Vital Records office may provide same day walk in service.  Here is a link to each Arizona county’s local health department where you can find information about how to obtain a certified copy of a birth certificate from the specific counties -

    To Apply By Mail:

    To apply by mail to the Arizona Department of Health Services for a certified copy of a death certificate, one must submit the following:

  •  A completed Application for Certified Copy of Death Certificate
  •  A copy of the front and back of your valid government-issued picture identification which bears your signature or have your signature notarized.
  •  Proof of eligibility. This means you will have to submit information showing you are a person listed above eligible to get a certified copy of a death certificate eligible to
  •  A self-addressed stamped envelope with your request.
  •  Appropriate fee, according to this fee schedule. Acceptable payment methods are: cashier's checks, money orders, Visa, or MasterCard. PLEASE DO NOT SEND CASH. Cashier's checks and money orders must be for the exact amount and made payable to Office of Vital Records. If you pay by credit/debit card, you must include the full card number and expiration date on your application.

    Mail all this information to: Bureau of Vital Records, PO Box 6018, Phoenix, AZ, 85005.
    You should receive the certified death certificate within 7-10 business days after mailing the request.

    For More Information:

    Here is a link to the Arizona Department of Health Service’s web page explaining how to apply for a death certificate -

    Stillborn or fetal death certificate

    The Arizona Department of Health Services also provides copies of a stillborn or fetal death certificate. Like birth and death certificates only certain people may obtain this stillborn or fetal death certificate and there is an application process. 
    Information about getting this stillborn or fetal death certificate is here:

  • Comments:


    • My boyfreind is currently in prison but right before he was taken into custody we found out I was pregnant. Yes it is his and he acknowledges that. He left me with a power of attorney and it is still valid. I want to know can I use the power of attorney to put him as the father on the birth certificate? And how would I do this? would I just sign as if I were him?
    • My wife and I have been together for 7 years and just got legally married yesterday (Yay az!) We've had the kids together. Can I put name on the bc? How do I make her a legal parent?
    • My son is 10 and two years ago I had a paternity test done with his biological father but I have his step dad on the birth certificate. What can I do to have him removed from the birth certificate?
    • When my daughter was born i couldn't add father to birth certificate be cause he wasnt present, i want to add her non biological father to her certificate how can i do this?
    • if a judge order the fathers name to be put on the birth certificate and DNA was done many years later and proved the person on the birth certificate was not the father how can i remove the listed father
    • Can you please outline the steps necessary to acquire a birth certificate when one was never filed in 1980 when I was born? Thank you!
    • How can I put my fathers name on my birth certificate if he can not come to the US?
    • I have forms to add my name to my Birth Certificate from 2002, but got sick and did not complete. Can I still use the forms and how much do I need to pay? I can not get through by phone, why is that?
    • I had my daughter 2 months ago and allowed my, then boyfriend, to sign stating that he was the baby's father. His name is on the birth certificate but we have since found out that he is not the baby's father. What do I have to do to get his name off the birth certificate now. We are no longer together and the biologicial father wants to be on the birth certificate. What do I have to do?
    • I am an adopted child and i ran away from my adopted parents in april of 2006. i turned 18 in aug. 2006 and now that im 18 i went back and asked for my birth certificate and my social security card but was refused to have it. im trying to get my life on track and i cant get a job with out my social security card, so what should i do.


    • He told me that I could actually get all the money I needed by using my home as collateral. . .
    • I just helped my mother, age 89, deal with her Medicare HMO. . .
    • I just helped my mother, age 89, deal with her Medicare HMO. . .




    • Please select your county of residence below.



    • State Bar of Arizona
    • Maricopa County Bar
      Referral number 602-257-4434
    • Pima County Bar
      Referral number 520-623-4625
    • National Domestic Violence Hotline
    • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
    • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program