Dealing with Debt

questions & answers

Question: Should I file for bankruptcy if I cannot pay my debts?


There are two types of personal bankruptcy: Chapter 13 and Chapter 7. In general, if you have a steady income, Chapter 13 allows you to stop most debt collection in exchange for a promise to pay your available funds to creditors as part of a three-to-five-year repayment plan. With a repayment plan, you may be able to keep certain property such as your car or home, even if it was used to secure a loan. And if you fulfill your obligation, most remaining debt would be canceled at the end of the repayment period.

Under Chapter 7, however, you ask the bankruptcy court to cancel most of your debts because you do not have enough money or property to pay them off. (To qualify for a Chapter 7 plan, you would have to meet specific criteria related to your income and future ability to pay.) Certain assets would be sold to help pay off your creditors. With this type of bankruptcy, you generally would not be able to keep property that was used as collateral for a loan.


On 6/27/07
Connie said
My Comon-Law husband died Last year. I have spent the life insurance money on his estate house payments and now that im out of money his estrangeg half brother and sister want to take everything away from me. i have lived Here 7+Years can i keep it?

On 3/24/07
Larry said
Yes they can attach anything you own and seize it to satisfy your dad's debt, if you are on the account.

On 1/18/07
Nancy said
What about an IRA. Can that be taken away because of bankruptcy?

On 11/26/06
M. said
I would like to see more indebth discussion regarding protecting ones property...and even tho I am a senior my parent is still alive and over 90. I am on his accounts, can my creditors take from his accounts to satisfy my debt?


  • Should I file for bankruptcy if I cannot pay my debts?


  • If you get a divorce, make sure your date of birth is on the Decree if your name is changing!. . .
  • Age discrimination in the workplace. . .
  • He told me that I could actually get all the money I needed by using my home as collateral. . .



  • Welcome to our Newly Redesigned Website! Let us know how we are doing! Please take a couple of minutes to fill out our survey.


  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program