Landlord and Tenant Rights and Responsibilities

questions & answers

Question: As a landlord what appliances are required that I supply?

Answer: The Arizona Residential Landlord and Tenant Act (A.R.S. Title 33 Chapter 10) specifies only that a landlord must “comply with the requirements of applicable building codes materially affecting health and safety” (as described in A.R.S. 9-1303); “make all repairs and do whatever is necessary to put and keep the premises in a fit and habitable condition”; “keep all common areas of the premises in a clean and safe condition”; “maintain in good and safe working order and condition all electrical, plumbing, sanitary, heating, ventilating, air-conditioning and other facilities and appliances, including elevators, supplied or required to be supplied by him”; “provide and maintain appropriate receptacles and conveniences for the removal of ashes, garbage, rubbish and other waste incidental to the occupancy of the dwelling unit and arrange for their removal”; and “supply running water and reasonable amounts of hot water at all times, reasonable heat and reasonable air-conditioning or cooling where such units are installed and offered, when required by seasonal weather conditions, except where the building that includes the dwelling unit is not required by law to be equipped for that purpose or the dwelling unit is so constructed that heat, air-conditioning, cooling or hot water is generated by an installation within the exclusive control of the tenant and supplied by a direct public utility connection” (A.R.S. 33-1324). However, the rental agreement itself should expressly state which appliances -- if any -- the landlord will be responsible for providing (A.R.S. 33-1314).


  • As a landlord what appliances are required that I supply?


  • He told me that I could actually get all the money I needed by using my home as collateral. . .
  • I just helped my mother, age 89, deal with her Medicare HMO. . .
  • Age discrimination in the workplace. . .



  • Welcome to our Newly Redesigned Website! Let us know how we are doing! Please take a couple of minutes to fill out our survey.


  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program