Child Custody

questions & answers

Question: how do i request for joint custody? if i pay child support and the mother of my children does not let me see my kids at all


You may want to review the articles and questions and answers already posted to this site about child custody. Depending on the situation, filing for custody may be complex. You may want to consult an attorney. The following is provided as general information about custody in Arizona.

The procedure for custody changes depending upon whether there is a court ordered custodial arrangement to modify, or whether the court has never determined custody. The procedure will also change depending on if the father has already established paternity, or whether all of the parties live in Arizona.

Custody determinations are made by the court based on what is in the best interest of the child. A.R.S. § 25-403. If the parents request joint legal custody, they also must submit to the court a written plan (parenting plan) indicating how they will cooperate to raise and care for the child. A.R.S. § 25-403.02. The court may order joint legal custody without ordering joint physical custody. The court also may order joint legal custody even if one parent objects. A.R.S. § 25-403.01 (B).

To find the forms to either establish custody or to modify custody, you may want to contact your local superior court. Some courts or law libraries have the family law forms and information available online - such as Maricopa County, Pima County and Coconino County.


  • how do i request for joint custody? if i pay child support and the mother of my children does not let me see my kids at all


  • I just helped my mother, age 89, deal with her Medicare HMO. . .
  • He told me that I could actually get all the money I needed by using my home as collateral. . .
  • If you get a divorce, make sure your date of birth is on the Decree if your name is changing!. . .



  • Welcome to our Newly Redesigned Website! Let us know how we are doing! Please take a couple of minutes to fill out our survey.


  • Please select your county of residence below.



  • State Bar of Arizona
  • Maricopa County Bar
    Referral number 602-257-4434
  • Pima County Bar
    Referral number 520-623-4625
  • National Domestic Violence Hotline
  • Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
  • Certified Legal Document Preparer Program