questions & answers
Question: I have a daughter who will be 16 the end of june. She wants to get married now instead of waiting. How do i go about doing this?? And if i she does get married am i legally responsible for her anymore??
Answer: According to Arizona Law, A.R.S. § 25-102, titled "Consent required for marriage of minors,” a person under the age of 18 cannot marry without the consent of the parent or guardian having custody of such person. A person under 16 cannot marry without the consent of the parent or guardian having custody of that person and the approval of any superior court judge in the state.
When the parents are living apart, the consent shall be given by the parent who has the custody of the minor.
Before authorizing the marriage of a person who is under sixteen years of age, the court:
- Shall require both parties to the marriage to complete premarital counseling.The court may waive this requirement if the court determines that premarital counseling is not reasonably available.
- Must find that the minor is entering into the marriage voluntarily.
- Must find that the marriage is in the best interests of the minor under the circumstances.
- May require that the minor continue to attend school.
- May require any other condition that the court determines is reasonable under the circumstances.
A marriage shall not take place under this section if it is prohibited by the law relating to prohibited and void marriages (A.R.S. § 25-101).
Married minors are considered emancipated.
I have a daughter who will be 16 the end of june. She wants to get married now instead of waiting. How do i go about doing this?? And if i she does get married am i legally responsible for her anymore??
- Welcome to our Newly Redesigned Website! Let us know how we are doing! Please take a couple of minutes to fill out our survey.
- Please select your county of residence below.
State Bar of Arizona
Maricopa County Bar
Referral number 602-257-4434
Pima County Bar
Referral number 520-623-4625
National Domestic Violence Hotline
Bankruptcy Court Self Help Center
Certified Legal Document Preparer Program